Several events in the Hughes Glomar Explorer story took place in
the bay area:
- The HMB-1 (Hughes Mining Barge 1) was built by Lockheed in Redwood
City. "Clemetine" the claw that grabbed the Russian Submarine off
of the ocean floor was also constructed by Lockheed in Redwood City.
- A secret school was set up to teach the cremembers about Russian
Submarine Recovery at the Redwood City facility.
- The Hughes Glomar Explorer was laid up in mothballs in Susiun Bay, where
she sat until 1996.
- The HMB-1 was extensively modified to be the storage facility for
the Navy's Steath Test ship, the Sea Shadow.
- The Sea Shadow herself was built at Lockheed Redwood City.
- The HMB-1 barge now rests at the reserve fleet in Suisun Bay near Benecia, California.
I've received a message from a former crewmember that found these pages. The message is:
"Looking for original "A" and "B" crew for possible reunion. --Panama Red"
Note: I've lost contact with Panama Red - sorry
Explorer Home | Explorer Mission |
Explorer Pictures |